Quote

Remember - Its not the length of your life that's important - it's the depth.

Saturday 20 May 2017

Didn't We Have a Lovely Time...

...the day we went to Quilts UK at Malvern. 
Yes we did! especially as this year I was 'taxied' there and back by Lisa. We set off early in order to have a cup of coffee accompanied by a bacon roll at our usual 'watering hole'. On arrival we worked to our usual pattern, she shopped and I 'oggled' quilts with a little shopping thrown in. This year I was not disappointed, I took so many pictures it's taken me several hours to get them out of my phone, labeled up and in a folder. I thought I would share a few of them with you here.
As I took so many shots I'll show you a few and label them with the title and the name of the maker.
First up is the Best in Show, not really my cup of tea, but it was very clever.

Latin For Quilters by Moira Neal. Cambridgeshire
Hand painted, Applique, Hand made lace, Recycled, rusted & printed fabric and embellishments.
The next 3 quilts absolutely blew me away, with superbly accurate intricate piecing and stitching.
All Things Bright and Beautiful by Evelyn Walton. Gloucestershire. 
Machine pieced, Hand appliqued Baltimore style. 

Enchanted Stars, Happy Days by Andrea Ashwell. Wiltshire
Batiks, free motioned quilted with some ruler work.

Mauerblumchen - (Wallflower) by Claudia Scheja. Germany
Machine Pieced Carpenters Star and Machine applique flowers. 

This one made me smile. To give you an idea of the humour I have added a close up of one block
A Quilters Tail by Shakesmeer. 
Made to commemorate Shakespeare's 400th anniversary 


The last one is my '15 minutes of fame', after 30 years of patchwork & quilting finally I have 'a piece' hung at Quilts UK.

Westbury Park Quilters Banner. Made by many hands and inspired by the wonderful city of Bristol 
Begun when I was a member of this group, we were given a list of famous landmarks or things relevant to the city and left to use our own techniques to achieve our chosen block. This is what I chose.


I used an image from the Bristol Blue website which I printed off and traced to get the shape of the jug, ditto for the lettering. Jug and central lettering applied using bond-a-web then machine appliqued in place before hand quilting the outline, the rest of the lettering was hand embroidered.
I did a little shopping, buying a couple of small Boutis/Trapunto kits from Sylvia Critcher along with some quilting Wool and 1/4" masking tape, a couple of Redwork kits from designed by Sadie Yeomans  plus a small bundle of fabrics from Farne Designs a fabric supplier who dye all their own fabrics which come in the most amazing range of colours. There were a few bits and pieces too small to list here. To round off the day we finished with tea and cake - why?-  because you have too! 
We arrived home tired and not a little sad with the knowledge that this will be our last show together as Lisa returns to the USA 10 weeks from tomorrow :-((

TTFN
Lx

No comments:

Post a Comment