Quote

Remember - Its not the length of your life that's important - it's the depth.

Friday 27 May 2011

Celebration! New Shop

Hi,
Back again as I just have to share the news, we have a new quilt shop in Bristol, called Poppy Patchwork and it can be found online at www.poppypatchwork.co.uk  if you are near enough to visit then it's at 71, Westbury Hill Westbury on Trym, Bristol. BS9 2LR.
I haven't been yet but it's great news. Up till now my nearest shop has been about an hour's drive away in one direction and 45 minutes in the other, now some of you may think that's not far but when you add the cost of fuel and what can turn into a 1/2 day trip it soon mounts up. After all if you run out of a special  fabric you need in the middle of a sewing session you can't just nip to the quilt shop can you? So why haven't I been I hear you ask, well with the New England trip only just over 2 months away ...Whooo Hoo!!! :-))))) I  am saving all my hard earned cash to SPEND! SPEND! SPEND! while I'm stateside.
We are beginning to sort out a few details, like spending the night before the flight in London so we don't miss the plane, then today I sorted the Travel Insurance (don't they ever ask a lots of questions?) still better safe than sorry I think.
I've been busy on the sewing front and  have finished two UFO's in the last couple of weeks I'm on a roll and have made a start on the next one.... my finished projects are the Silk Trapunto cushion and a Christmas 
Stained Glass wall-hanging.


 Now it's the turn of a colour-wash workshop started at Westbury park Quilter's about 2 years ago. The workshop was run by Lynne Quinn a well known local quilter & tutor(See some of her work on my 2nd Malvern post) we used fabric samples to make a grid of squares graded light to dark across a 5 1/2" square grid and then Bond-a-webbed them in place once they were secure we cut out a drawn a shape which was rotated 190 degrees and replaced in the centre as below

over the next few days I continued making more squares until I had 6 different colours with 6 different geometric shapes in them, I'm not sure I got the colour-wash technique quite right but they are OK I think?
At the workshop we were given the instructions to make a small wall-hanging but the squares then got put aside while I started another more pressing project (as you do) so yesterday while looking for something else (also as you do!) I found the squares and decided this was next. So far I've decided to put them all the same way up i.e. light corners at bottom right, added Black sashing and a black border, I am so fired up with enthusiasm right now I hope to finish it this week end, here it is so far.
Well that's all for today DH has gone to the Cricket Club to attend the unveiling of a memorial to a President of the club who lost his life to cancer in December 2010,  I don't know what time he'll be back but I think it's time for my 'Jammies' to go on while I eat a TV dinner.
See you all soon
Lorraine




No comments:

Post a Comment