Quote

Remember - Its not the length of your life that's important - it's the depth.

Thursday 21 July 2011

Two Weeks Already!

I can hardly believe that it's 2 weeks tomorrow that my darling GD was born, we have received many, many messages of congratulations as have the proud parents. Last Friday 15th we had our first 'official visit by DD, DSIL and new GD plus our boys of course, while they were here I brought my Mum round to see her great Granddaughter for the first time also DH's sister (now a Great Aunt) called in for a cuddle. DSIL took this picture of 4 Generations. On Tuesday (19th)  H.G. became an 'official little person' when she was registered and now has her birth certificate.
4 Generations July 2011
 Unfortunately I don't have many pictures of my Mum, and at 85 years old in September I wanted an excuse to take some,  this was one of those perfect opportunities.  I should also include a picture of 'the boys' so they won't feel left out.

This is Monty, a pure breed Golden Retriever who is eating a green apple that has fallen from our tree YUK!! he's always eating something - sticks, soil plus a few things too disgusting to mention, but we love him anyway! His favorite pastimes are eating, sleeping and playing the fool! Last year he won a certificate in the 'Sofa Surfing' contest organized by Many Tears Animal Rescue in South wales
This fellow is Ted, a rescued (from Many Tears) Springer Spaniel X with attitude and we love him too, he's very loyal and lots of fun, he loves Grandad's garden and helps him a lot by digging large holes - usually in secret places so that we humans have fun trying to find them! He enjoys eating, sleeping and long walks with lots of holes to push his head into.
Things are getting back to normal here and I am beginning to start thinking about sewing matters, it's Clock Tower Quilters on Saturday - Yay!!! and Severn Valley meet next Wednesday - Double Yay!!
As I haven't made much progress with my UFO's lately I thought I would share a few pictures with you of some original pieces I made as part of 'Challenges' at SVQ. Each January at the A.G.M. the Chairperson sets us a challenge, the first one I took part in was a Nautical theme, we could make anything as long as it was 3 layers with some quilting, this was my entry..
The title is 'Moonlight Journey' it's based on a memory of watching a large yacht enter Fowey harbour  in bright moonlight late one evening when we were on holiday in Cornwall. I 'crazy' pieced  the sea using bridal fabric scraps to get a shiny surface on the water, the Sky was a scrap of 'starry' fabric and the yacht and moon were some sheers from my stash, which I machine appliqued on, its machine embroidered and quilted. Approximately 12" x 15"
This one is 'Broken Dishes & Batiks' the challenge was to use a Fat 8th of fabric chosen and supplied by the Chairperson, we could use it in any way we liked. I saw this pattern in a magazine some 13 years previously. It was originally a miniature quilt by Katherine Guerrier but I chose to enlarge it to 28" x 28" in order to use all of the challenge fabric. You can see bits of the challenge fabric in the four corners to which I have added Batik scraps from my stash and some Cream background, the binding is made using an oddment of Batik fabric. Machine pieced and quilted.
The theme of 'China'  was chosen for our Group's 20th Anniversary, I saw the centre design on a Cookie Jar and made a drawing, enlarged it on the PSC, before tracing it onto the central cream fabric, I then hand embroidered the design using 6 strand cottons and some silver Lame thread for the spoon, for the borders I used a decorative font from the computer to print off names of some famous 'china' brands these were then traced onto some medium blue print and hand embroidered in red thread to match the centre before hand quilting it and binding it with plain blue fabric, approx. 12 "x 10". I was delighted to take first prize with this one at our 20th birthday party and won a super book by Susan Brisco called 'Japanese Sashiko Inspirations' which Susan kindly signed for me later that year when I took a workshop with her.
Well that's all folks as they say in the movies (well in cartoons anyway)
See you all soon.
L

No comments:

Post a Comment