Quote

Remember - Its not the length of your life that's important - it's the depth.

Thursday 16 February 2012

Phewww ! Young Quilters

Hi Guys,
Before I start I'm really excited, I just logged on and discovered that I now have 8 followers, I have had 5 'regulars' for quite a while but wondered if anyone else actually reads my blog, but now I know people are finding me and it's really nice to know they are! So I hope they go on enjoying my Ramblings.
Well what a day! I've been teaching at a Y.Q. (Young Quilter's) workshop for Region 5 this afternoon and I came home 'bushed'. I started taking H to these events in April last year, remember her Chicken (April 2011 Post) and the Christmas Stocking (January's post ) I had previously volunteered to do a wax crayon project with the children, at some point and this offer was accepted by Jo who is the Y.Q. rep for this area, I then promptly forgot about it expecting her to let me know in due course when she wanted me to do it. However on Monday I bumped into Jo at another event and found out she was expecting me to do it today, so of course I said No problem (as you do!!) Now I've never taught a group of children before so I was somewhat nervous this morning, especially as I suddenly realised around 2am last night that I did not have any samples!!!!  I had sourced some pictures for them to trace and of course I had planned to make the samples in plenty of time. (Best laid plans and all that spring to mind here:-) but of course plans often go pear shaped in this house workroom. So there I was at 9.30am today after a disturbed night frantically cutting, measuring, tracing and colouring (of course I mean measuring and cutting :-0) fabrics for two different but similar projects for 2 different age groups, and this is what I came up with...
Coaster approx 5" square
Mug Rug approx 8" x 12
I don't know why I worried, the kids were great! I only had 3 young girls as Jo had another helper who was working with the older ones to make small quilts based on the Gee's Bend quilts (See Here). My group made coasters/mini quilts and made it very easy for me as they followed instruction very well. I don't have permission to put their photographs on here but they all made at least 2 mini quilts and even the accompanying Mum & Granny had a try. H was in the older group and this is her version of a Gee's Bend quilt. She tried machine quilting and just has to turn the backing over to form the binding, which I will help her sort out when I see her next.
 
DD is bringing Ted here tomorrow to stay for the weekend as they are off to visit I's parents, whose garden is not completely escape proof, and if there's the slightest gap Ted will get through it!! So he's going to stay with 'Granny' for a couple of days, so that means I will be out walking in the early mornings for a few days. On Saturday its CTQ so it's off for a sewing day with like minded friends, then on Monday I'm going out for lunch with Laura and Baby G before she goes back to work after her maternity leave. Next week I have to make some WIP samples for a Victorian Crazy workshop I'm booked to run in March and right now I'm off to bed, hopefully I will sleep better tonight :-))
See you all soon.
L

No comments:

Post a Comment