Quote

Remember - Its not the length of your life that's important - it's the depth.

Saturday 10 June 2017

Nothing on TV....AGAIN!

So it's a good excuse to talk to all you lovely folks out there. Last time I promised an update on my recent knitting projects, yes there are more than one including several on the needles!
I may have probably mentioned that I belong to a couple of knitting groups. One is held on the 1st Wednesday of the month at our local church, St. Helen's  They serve a reasonably priced cooked lunch every week for older residents and I have started taking Mum along to that on the day that the knitting group meets, so it makes a break for her from making her own lunch and an afternoon out with friends as we know most of the ladies who attend. Mostly the ladies knit for various Charities and Judith (our lay preacher in the absence of a Vicar!) who runs both the lunches and the knitting group deals with the delivery of the various items when she has a quantity. So far they have made Blankets for S.A.N.D.S. (if you follow the link you can find a downloadable pattern for a blanket) other times we send baby clothes for Premmies at our local hospital's N.I.C.U. unit. We also knit scarves hats and gloves for homeless people, plus items to sell at events like the Church Fete and Christmas Bazaar. So far this what I have made over the last couple of weeks.
An incubator Vest (designed by one of the midwives at the unit) and matching hat in Cream DK, .

They take a mere 25gms of yarn if 4 ply is used and not much more if you use DK (and you get slightly bigger vests!) I like making these as they are knitted in one piece and you can adjust the stitch count slightly to work different patterns on the body. These are very good for really tiny babies as they have buttons at the front and on the shoulders so they open up flat which avoids picking the little ones up to undress them when the Doctors need to examine them as you can see here. I still need to add the buttons to this one.

I have just completed a cardi using some left over 4ply, again DK can be used and they are really easy to make, knitted from the top down the only seams to sew up are the sleeves if you knit the border on instead of making it separately. I really like the colour as a change from the usual blue, pink or white.


Another little hat in DK, these take about an hour and are ideal to knit in front of the TV


Next you may want to put your sunglasses on, as they are a bit bright, 2 Beanie hats for the homeless. I came across a 100gm ball of this bright red yarn in the stash (don't ask me why I bought it :-) but I have another one the same!!!) I did run out just before the end of the 2nd hat but luckily  an oddment did the trick.
I make these in the round (have you guessed I dislike sewing up!) on either 4 DPN's or a short circular needle and are my usual 'carry around' project for passing the time in the coffee shop or at the Museum, you will also find me knitting one of these on the coach to the NEC Festival of Quilts in August. I can usually complete one during the journey up and back.
Last but not least I have finished the sweater I was making for Oscar, I found 4x100gm balls of this yarn in the stash and the pattern asked for 2 so job done I thought, but no!  the whole sweater only took 1 ball and I have a little left over from that! Back to the pattern file I guess for another idea to use it up.


So once again that brings me up to date with the events at Monkey Business central so I'll be off.

TTFN
Lx

No comments:

Post a Comment