Quote

Remember - Its not the length of your life that's important - it's the depth.

Saturday 22 June 2013

Mid summer ????

Well apart from the length of daylight yesterday who would know it is summer?
We went away for a few days in the caravan and although we were not washed out it was very inclement weather, still a change is as good as a rest as they say and it certainly charged our batteries and we manged quite a few walks
 
I could not resist a picture of these lovely rock formations in Dawlish.
A blustery day and high tides in Teignmouth, lots of 'splooshing' as DD used to say. I love the sea in all its moods, but especially like this
On Sunday we visited a Museum where there were some great sewing Machines,

a wonderful Victorian Kitchen, which brought back some memories, my Grandparents kitchen range was very similar to this but in a cottage.
and an Evacuee's bedroom with a lovely log cabin quilt, it was only after I had taken these pictures that DH noticed a small sign that said no photography, so don't tell anyone will you!!!
 It all seemed very weird leaving Mum alone for the first time but family and friends called in and she seemed to cope very well. I got a little cardie knitted while we were away but cleverly ran out of yarn about 2" from the end of the 2nd front, so unpicked the whole lot and made it in a smaller size, now DH really thinks I have lost the plot! Now I'm back to knitting squares as I had another idea to use a 'quilt design' for a knitted blanket, but more on that later....
I've got some sewing done since I came back as I am teaching a workshop on Saturday, Yes I Know! I'm retired but I was asked and well! I do miss teaching you know. I'm also doing a demo on continuous binding for S.V.Q. skills Night on Wednesday next and there is a bit of prep for that, which is well under way.
I went with a friend to the Portishead Quilters exhibition recently, it was in a church and unfortunately all the quilts were draped over the back of the pews so we could not really see them very well, As we were only a few miles away we also visited The Spinning Weal in Clevedon what a lovely shop that is I really must find time to go back with some cash in my pocket really soon! 
While at the exhibition I bought some 'orphan blocks' on a Halloween theme which I thought I could use to make into a quilt for the SVQ Charity. They are a favorite technique of mine FP 'random' Log Cabin, there were 8 completed blocks and 4 in progress and cost the princely sum of £1.00
Completed blocks
WIP's  
 I picked out some bright fabrics from 'the stash' and some scraps
I loved the 'bug' fabrics, just right for this project
Lots of bright scraps.

I'm going to use a 'pointless wonder' design which will fit in nicely for Saturdays 'Quilt in a Day' workshop.
So far I've cut all the fabric squares, drawn on the diagonal cutting lines
 tho I did mess up one square and learned a valuable lesson in not having the rotary cutter to hand when drawing the diagonal lines, I was gaily drawing away when I grabbed the cutter by mistake and carefully cut the square in half!!! "Oh! %$%^(*)^$" was what I said as I produced 2 lovely HST's.
now they are pinned into pairs ready to sew and cut.
Well while out shopping today I bought some Crumpets I haven't had crumpets for years so that's my tea sorted, so right now I'm off to toast them and make a cuppa before settling down with a good film and some knitting.
Nightie Night Folks.
L




No comments:

Post a Comment